Transit system and the BART workers perform a wide array of tasks and services. Here are a few:
- Train Operator
- Station Agent
- Operations Foreworker
- Power & Support Controller
- Transportation Administration Specialist
- Communications Specialist
Incumbents in this class are physically located on the trains to ensure that operating conditions are maintained within acceptable parameters and to take action in emergency or unusual situations.
Examples of duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitors console and radio communications to ensure that vehicles are operating within established guidelines.
- Observes and detects hazards on the track, in the station or platforms, or on the train itself, reports them to Operations Control Center via radio, and takes necessary corrective action.
- Makes announcements to passengers regarding station arrivals, transfer points, delays and emergencies and answers passenger questions. Observes and detects problems with passengers entering and exiting train doors and takes corrective action.
- In yards, on test tracks, turntables and wash facilities, follow directions from Tower personnel and operates console to move trains as directed.
- Takes prescribed action such as evacuating passengers, administering first aid, and using fire extinguisher during emergencies.
- Reports basic equipment malfunctions of a mechanical or electrical nature to Operations Control Center; works with foreworkers and technicians to isolate reported problems.
- Uses a variety of communication equipment, including public address system, two-way radios and emergency telephones.
- Monitors and learns to apply changes in operating and emergency procedures.
- Maintains and upgrades knowledge of policies and procedures as required.
Requirements and working conditions
- Work independently and exercise sound judgement in a variety of situations.
- Detect unusual, hazardous or emergency situations and take appropriate action within prescribed guidelines.
- Train and station environment; work in confined space; exposure to cold, heat and noise, inclement weather, and high voltage.
- Must be willing to work off-hour shifts, holidays and weekends.